Kids Cancer Care
The Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta is passionately dedicated to helping young people affected by cancer and their families survive and thrive in body, mind, and spirit. With a vision of providing a cure for every child and care for every family, Kids Cancer Care strives to end childhood cancer, while easing the pain and suffering of the disease through three essential program areas: 1. Camp and Outreach; 2. Research and Hospital; and 3. Education Support and Scholarships. At Kids Cancer Care, we consider it an honour and privilege to do the work we do. We get to help deserving children and families and we get to see our community at its finest — volunteering, donating, hosting fundraisers, and helping others.
We value different perspectives and innovative thinking. We like to surround ourselves with creative, kind, and passionate people and we encourage all qualified persons of any ability, gender, ethnic background, or origin to apply. We believe in the power of diversity and are dedicated to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We ensure equal opportunity for all applicants and encourage people of all visible minorities to apply.
To protect the health and safety of our community, employees of Kids Cancer
Care must provide proof of double vaccination against COVID-19.
For more information on Kids Cancer Care and our work, please visit us
Kids Cancer Care is looking for Camp Food Services Coordinator to oversee the day-to-day operations of the Camp Kindle kitchen. This is a permanent full-time position starting February 1st, 2022 and will report to Camp Kindle’s Food Services Manager. Kids Cancer Care offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
The Camp Food Services Coordinator’s primary role is to supervise the daily operations of camp with special focus on food safety and handling procedures, staff supervision, and food preparation and continuing education of all camp staff.
The population we serve is vast. When not serving our Kids Cancer Care families, we run a busy rental operation that offers programs and meaningful experiences for rental groups. These groups range from children’s medical groups, outdoor school programs, corporate retreats, band and choir retreats and other youth groups. Camp Kindle is also the venue for three annual fundraising events for Kids Cancer Care. We are a licensed facility and may offer liquor services for adult functions. With a focus on hospitality and service, the ideal candidate will have the ability to communicate effectively with our camp and kitchen staff, housekeeping staff, camp and Calgary office staff as well as our clientele, both young and old. The candidate must also have the creativity and ability to plan diverse menus to match the needs of the Camp Kindle clientele.
Key Areas of Responsibility
The Camp Food Services Coordinator will be responsible for the following operations, protocols and services related to Camp Kindle.
• Be aware of the needs of young people and families with a history of cancer.
• Be aware of and adhere to the annual budget.
• Create and maintain online food ordering systems.
• Complete weekly food orders in line with menus, budget and in coordination with
housekeeping supply needs.
Health and Safety
• A clear understanding of hygiene standards for immunocompromised individuals.
• Ensure the kitchen operates in compliance with all health and safety regulations.
• Serve as a member of the Camp Kindle Health and Safety Committee.
• Create and implement allergy-control and celiac/gluten-free procedures.
• Develop and implement systems for and recording of safe food handling
• Ensure any workplace incidents are properly recorded, communicated, and
followed up on.
• Participate in educational sessions during camp staff training weeks in the spring,
summer and fall to teach health and safety expectations in food preparation areas.
• Develop and oversee procedures for shift start and end of all employees.
• Coordinate with Camp Kindle Maintenance department to ensure kitchen
equipment is properly maintained to adhere to food-safe practices.
• Assist in developing, implementing, and serving kid-friendly menus, specialized
dietary menus, as well as upscale menus for retreats, reunions, and other events.
• Be prepared and flexible to accommodate any last-minute dietary requests or
• Create specially themed meals in coordination with camp staff or user-groups.
• Coordinate camp program kitchen or food needs with camp staff.
• Participate in the preparation of the annual food budget.
• Assist in hiring, training, and supervising kitchen staff.
• Assist in the scheduling of kitchen staff based on staff projected clientele and
• Oversee daily supervision and mentorship of all kitchen staff.
• Aide in the administration of biweekly “Lunch is on Us” training sessions
• Be responsible for proper care, cleaning, and storage of all kitchen equipment.
• Plan the purchasing of kitchen smallware based on budget.
• Represent Kids Cancer Care and foster excellent relationships with user-groups.
Education and Certifications
• Food safety certificate required.
• Advanced food safety/HACCP is an asset.
• ProServe Certificate is an asset.
• Other food-related certificates or training (Allergy Awareness, food and hospitality
courses, celiac/gluten free, Halal, vegetarian/vegan, dairy free/lactose intolerant)
are an asset.
• Restaurant or institutional food service experience or professional cooking
• Management or supervisory experience required.
• Must provide a current level II criminal records check, including vulnerable sector.
• Must provide own transportation and hold a valid driver’s license and an
acceptable driver’s abstract.
• Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
Please send a cover letter and resume with Camp Food Services Coordinator in
the email subject line to:
Stephanie Newbery, RD
Food Services Manager
Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta
Water Valley, Alberta
Note: We prefer to receive applications by email. We are grateful to everyone who
applies, but only candidates selected for an interview will be notified